On NOVEMBER 22 ONLY:
Click on this Extraordinary Give logo to donate to Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum –
Why should you consider giving to Landis Valley?
Here are a just a few benefits:
- Each year, Landis Valley provides direct, hands-on learning experiences to hundreds and hundreds of school children in this area, teaching them the really amazing history, the actual life skills, and the origins of what we have today that came from our ancestors right here in South Central PA. They learn what life was really like here from the 1700s through the mid-20th century through tours, workshops, demonstrations, and craft or trade skill classes and workshops. This is learning that is not available in most public or private schools, yet is incredibly important to understanding where we came from, how we got to where we are, and how the future is up to us to create with the same inventive fervor our ancestors had.
- Our property is one of the few historic properties in the region with historic breeds of animals and heirloom plants. We have one of the few heirloom seed gardens that provides packaged heirloom seeds, currently for limited distribution. Our desire is to increase our impact in both livestock and gardening to provide both learning and actual usable stock to more and more persons interested in preserving our dwindling sources of heirloom agricultural stock.
- Every year, hundreds of families visit for truly healthy family entertainment that helps strengthen both the family and the concept of a supportive community through learning how a strong supportive community worked right here to build what we have today. In the spring, our annual Herb Faire provides gardeners with an amazing variety of planting options, including our heirloom plants. In the fall, Harvest Days takes families through dozens of hands-on demonstrations of old skills, such as how to make apple butter, maple syrup, wooden bowls, rope, molasses, fabric from plants and animals, and many other items that households used to make for themselves rather than just running to the local store. Throughout the year, there are special Hands-On History Days for adults and children to learn together about real old-fashioned farm chores or hearthside cooking or traditional crafts or even how archeologists learn from the garbage that people threw away hundreds of years ago. And of course we have over 100 classes and workshops that are provided at barely over cost to help preserve these skills for future generations.
- Many, many visitors each year travel from far away to visit us. They visit our area from both other states and other countries, generating income for local businesses. We desire to increase that impact within our community every year by making Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum the premier destination it should be. Our historic property is considered to be one of the top historic “gem” resources in this part of the country. We just need the resources to make more people aware of what we have here.
- We have the largest collection of artifacts from the German immigration into Eastern Pennsylvania starting in the mid-1700s. Our mission is first and foremost to expand and preserve this precious history and secondarily to educate the public about this history. We do that through acquiring historical artifacts that would have otherwise been lost and sharing them through continually changing exhibits of our unique artifacts and also by providing a “living history” village that allows visitors to seemingly step back in time to directly experience what is was like to live here 200 years ago. That mission takes incredible resources and we are missing so many opportunities to preserve this irreplaceable history without funding from gracious families and organizations throughout this area.
Here is the benefit of making your gift on November 22 through the Extra-ordinary Give program:
On this one day, there are a large number of organizations who have decided to match gifts made during this campaign. That means, if you give $100, we will actually receive MORE than that through matching funding which will make it even more possible for us to enhance our services and increase the impact we can have in preserving the past and building the future for our families and community.
Please, consider making your gift on November 22 through the Extraordinary Give Program. We and all of Lancaster County will thank you.
On NOVEMBER 22 ONLY: Click on this Extraordinary Give logo to donate to Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum –
OR… make your donation on-site at the Museum Visitor’s Center on November 22 between 9 am and 4 pm and you will get TWO FREE DAY PASSES plus you will have the chance to win prizes for coming out in person.
What are the prizes you can win with your donation? Just check these out…
Because your ExtraGive donation means so much to us, we want to thank you for your gift in a special way. Stop by our Visitor’s Center between 9am and 4pm to make your donation and you will get two FREE passes to the museum (even good for the Herb Faire and Harvest Days).
Even more… the first two donors in the morning (starting at 9 am) will get a local Lancaster County gift basket. Same for the first two in the afternoon (starting at noon).
And, yes, there’s even more!
The largest individual gift in each of four donation ranges will receive a VERY nice gift. In the $100 – $249 range, you get a $25 gift certificate to the Museum Store. In the $250 – $499 range, you get a beautiful redware bowl from Robesonia Pottery. In the $500-$999 range, you get a magnificent redware plate from Robesonia Pottery. And in the $1000+ range, you get a hand-woven shawl made at Landis Valley. (If there is a tie, the earlier highest donation will win.)
So, don’t just give. Give at the museum, and get something for yourself, as well!
Thank you again for your support and for loving Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum as much as we do!.